Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Works for me Wednesday: Fun Family Game

Fun Family Game:
Recently we went to Wendy's for dinner and the kids meal toy was a little scavenger hunt game. My kids loved playing it but I could see where we could improve upon it. I can't find where my kids have put it at the moment so I can't tell you exactly what it is called but we played it a bit differently than the rules and I intend to make up a version for our family that is more individualized anyway. In the game was a small deck of cards and on each card was a "scavenger hunt" item. This was the only part of the game we used. What I did was shuffle them and then give 5 cards to each child and then on my cue they could pick them up to look at them. When I said, "go" they would run from the room and try to be the first one to gather up the 5 items. The first one back to me with their items would win. I would then make them quickly return all the items back to their appropriate locations before we would start the next round. Otherwise you could quickly end up with all kinds of random things piled up that "you" would have to put away at the end of game playing.
The scavenger hunt cards had items like the following on them:
rock
plastic bottle
ruler
stamp
key
then there were several alphabet related cards that said "something that starts with the letter "b""
there were also several color related cards that said "something that is the color red"
So for the letter ones it was all different letters and the colors were several different colors. I hope that makes since.
Anyway the cards were very small and there were some items that were not easily accessible in our house and then of course I thought of several items that were easily available in our home that I decided I want to recreate the game and make it more personalized to our family and home. I am going to use index cards so that they can keep track of them better. My kids loved playing this and it cost next to nothing. Try it with your family and see how they like it. For more tips and ideas visit the Works for me Wednesday thread by clicking on the image above.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so creative! Thanks for sharing.

I love your blog. Nice Job!

I would love for you to come and visit me and see the benefits of using an MP3 player for storytime for children.

See you there!

Robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://heartofwisdom.com/blog/

Grammy said...

Great ideals I will have to try them with my grandsons

Unknown said...

This is a really great idea! I thought that pack of cards was so cute too! I did not think about remaking it for our home. Clever indeed : ). Hope your Sunday is wonderful! God bless.

Natalie said...

Sounds really fun! I'll have to give it a try!