Thursday, October 18, 2007

Google Phone Numbers Alert

I have sent an email to many of my friends about this, but feel that it is very threatening and want to get the word out to you if you didn't get an email about it. Please take a minute to read this. Although this is not my personal account, I did check my number and it was not listed. My parent's number was though.

"Go check this out. You'll be afraid of what you see. Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit MapQuest, you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book. If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming.

Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the mapquest and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary. Please look up your own number. In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to: google (http://www.google.com/) Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e. 555-555-1212) and hit enter. If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information, simply click on your telephone number and then click on the Removal Form. Removal takes 48-hours."

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for the alert. That is scary